Getting started with Facebook
See www.facebook.com/business to get you started on Facebook.
One common dilemma that people have when getting their business on Facebook is trying to figure out whether they should create a group or launch a page.
A Facebook page seems to be appropriate for most businesses and this is what we (Airsquare) have set up for ourselves.
I've very briefly summarised "10 Key SEO Strategies Every Facebook Page Owner Should Know" by Justin Smith (From 'Inside Network') as follows:
- Use your business's real name as the name of your Facebook page and don't change it
- Pick a Username for your URL that reflects the name or keywords of your business-care is warranted as this can't be changed (you need 100 fans before you can do this)
- Write a description of your business in the 'About' box at the left of your page. Make sure you use your keywords
- Fill in the 'Info' tab: fill in as much information as you can...websites, geographical information as the search engines will be able to find this info
- There are ways to add more static content (that would be full of your keywords) on your Facebook page-Use the 'Static FBML' app on Facebook
- Post direct links to your website through status updates
- Add keyword-rich labels to your photos and also add a discussion forum to your Facebook page
- Attach a 'Find us on Facebook' tab to your website (you can do this on Airsquare-just ask us if you're not sure)
- Work on getting lots of fans, as this will create more links to your Facebook page.
- Encourage your fans to comment on your page
On the 'Ambient and Transparent' blog at www.e-nor.com, they stress the importance of social engagement on Facebook.
By this, they mean that it's important to build up a rapport with your members; as well as putting up posts specifically about your business, you also need to encourage your fans to engage with your page using 'fun and simple' posts, like posts about life in general, inspirational stuff, talking about current affairs/events.
Once you have engaged your followers, then you can reach them through paid ads etc.